Tuesday, February 12, 2008

A Hot Mess

Man, did you guys see Amy Winehouse on the Grammies? I don't know when I've had such mixed feelings over a performance. Is she talented? Very. Did she looked like she was having fun at times? Yes. But other times she looked terrified, troubled, zoned, overwhelmed, and a whole lot of other things you might expect from someone taking a break from serious drug rehab to do a live international performance. Good grief.

Here's the clip, if you want to see it.

She looked gobsmacked when she won the award. I hope it's good for her. Who knows if getting out and performing helps keep her alive or just exacerbates her problems? Being an artist is so much about high emotion and energy. It's no wonder so many artists end up strung out.

The sad thing is, talented as she is, she will always be tied to the song "Rehab" because of just how damn catchy it is and the irony of her situation. One only hopes that she will live long enough to release a song called "I Got Tired of Being Fucked Up and Killing Myself So I Learned How to Channel My Talent Sober."

That might just need a catchier chorus, though.

6 comments:

Heather said...

Oh yeah, totally. I felt for her because for each second that she looked like she was really having fun, there were two or three seconds where she looked like things were going to completely shatter. I was happy for her when she won, and I hope she pulls it together and kicks her demons...

On another note, watching her trio of backup dudes made me very, very tired. Damn but they were moving. Even more tired than watching Beyonce and Tina with their crew... Then again, this could all be the flu I've got talking, since I can barely keep both eyelids open at the same time without feeling the need to take a nap.

What's the word on the job sitch? Need a few more WoooOOOOOOOns?

Heather said...

Oh and PS - I believe they pluralize it "Grammys" the same way they do "Emmys" and "Tonys" ........ Yes, Steve Lawrence would have a fit, but that's the Way It's Done.

FirstNations said...

poor kid.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps she could release a remix:
They tried to make me go to rehab, and I said "Oh, alright then".

I tried for a long time to convince my Lovely Husband™ that although the messed up druggy thing was off-putting, she is amazingly talented. He finally conceded, but only after George Michael had said so, too.

Did you know that her parents have been campaigning for a while to convince people not to buy her records, in the hope that if she has no money, she'll hit rock bottom and only then will be in a position to sort herself out properly? They've been understandably concerned at a burgeoning friendship with fellow Camden muso-druggy, Pete Doherty.

Anonymous said...

I agree - she was all over the place and I felt like it was kind of exploitative to have her perform in her present state.

I love Genny's remix idea though...

Corn Dog said...

I've never seen this woman and now I love her. It's hard for me to tell if she's a mess. Maybe she's being artistic.

v word: dissf