Friday, February 22, 2008

A Snowy Day In Brooklyn Town

Had me low, had me down...

But I'm not really low so much as tired, and the weather is a good excuse to hole in for a couple hours and contemplate my first day at the new job.

I was lucky that my first day turned out to be oddly quiet, as there was a lot to take in. The vet assistant I was shadowing was a big ol' dyke, also entering the vet tech program at LaGuardia. She showed me everything from where the cleaning supplies were located to how to read charts, from how to prepare ER stations to how to handle bodies. When I took a recently deceased cat in my arms, stiff with rigor mortis and looking disturbingly like my beloved Maya, to make a final pawprint in Sculpey as a keepsake for her person, we got misty together. When a small dog suddenly crashed and had to be given CPR, foaming blood pouring out of her mouth onto the floor, she suggested I watch to see what the ER team did. When one of the tiny puppies mistook my nose for a nipple (happens all the time) and tried to suckle, we laughed.

And laughter goes on a lot, there. Most of the team communicates with the easy, mildy insulting humour that people who like each other and have gone through important work do. Several times during the day, while I was learning how to run bloods, put together surgical packs, or just discussing the finer points of reptiles with the classmate who recommended me to the job and is now my co-worker, people told me unbidden that they love the place and stay there because it feels like a family. "You can always ask questions, and people are happy to teach you," I was told. And it was true. Several times, I didn't even have to ask. Someone who had noticed me watching or answered a few questions earlier would fill me in further. My head was swimming with new information, but it felt good.

Tomorrow is my second day. I bought some new scrubs, and I'm nervous and excited. I'll be working with a different team, and have new things to learn, accomplish, or maybe mess up. I'm hoping I do a good job. I've discovered that I like doing this kind of work, so far, and I want to do it well.

6 comments:

claire said...

Aw, yay! That sounds wonderful! I'm glad you've found not just a job, but a great place to be. That's great news.

Jealous that you're home today, however. My Long Island commute sucked ass this morning...

Heather said...

Woot! Glad the new job started so well, and hoping it continues tomorrow and beyond. So, so excellent! :D

I'm pissed at your weather, oh you wimpy downstaters and New Jerseyans - the hubby is now stuck in Jersey City as his flight back home from Newark this afternoon was cancelled by 8 this morning. Tomorrow's not looking any better, either. Grrr. I'm trying to convince him to just hop on the train and get home, but he's holding out hope for the airport...

We've had 4 or 5 inches of snow this morning up here and no one's even blinked. Humph.

FirstNations said...

...p.s.

SUNNY AND 63, BABY. oh yeah!

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, congratulations! Sounds like a terrific learning experience. (and the fun & friendly part helps, too)

Anonymous said...

It sounds like the place for you. A low-paying job is better than no job, I say. I'm psyched that you are there.

Corn Dog said...

Sounds like a dream job