Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Oh, No - It's Downer Day

This day, January 24, was calculated in 2005 to be the "most depressing" of the year by a researcher in Wales. Dr. Cliff Arnall devised a formula based on things like time passed since Christmas, debt thereafter, blown New Year's resolutions and weather and sunlight patterns to arrive on the date. The formula was devised to help a travel company analyze when people book trips and, logically, according to this article,
It seems that people are most likely to buy a ticket to paradise when they feel like hell.
Despite the fact that the study was based in the UK, I wouldn't be surprised if this was fairly accurate here in NYC. Still, personally, I'd wager that it switched to yesterday for 2006 in our area, mainly because it was a Monday and pretty damn gloomy.

Personally, I don't have any lingering Christmas debt or blown resolutions, but I do find myself succumbing to SAD and fantasizing about a getaway. I also had a crappy day contending with a mix-up at the gynecologist's yesterday, so I'd like to think the only way is up from there. Hey, it's sunny, I got a good night's sleep, the new StarGay episode's on my iPod and I don't have any doctor's appointments today. We take what we can.

How's your January going?

No comments: